Friday, January 30, 2009

Game On



One day, Cristy (my friend/co-worker) said, "Want to go eat lunch with me at the Relay for Life meeting?" Not knowing what it, was I could barely get out "Uhm" and she said "Great, lets go!" On our way over there I'm still trying to figure it out and I'm thinking that it's probably some luncheon that they hold every year and you just come and listen or something. Nope, not the case. We got inside (Ruston's new Chamber of Commerce building-which by the way is beautiful) and somehow I just knew that this would not be a one time deal. I was tricked into it at first (not really but I have to give Cristy a hard time) and I'm loving it now. We all know someone that either has, had or will have cancer, and this experience has helped me realize how important it is to get everyone involved. It also helps me to realize that some of the most "normal" people, that you may see everyday, or that may have been a customer, could possibly be walking around as a survivor, and you would have no idea they even had cancer. It's amazing. We lost our grandmother (Mamaw House) to cancer a few years ago. I've never participated in a Relay, but I know that this one will be extremely special and I can't wait for the event. In case you've never heard of it, or not familiar with it, it's an all night event with the meaning that cancer never sleeps. When we start the sun is up, it will go down symbolizing the dark period of the diagnosis and fight, and then the sun will rise again providing hope and promise of recovery. There's someone from each team walking at all times. There will be food, games, music and people selling things. From what I hear it is a very honorable and memorable event. This year it will be on Friday, March 27, 2009 at the National Guard Armory (inside) from 6:00pm to 6:00am (or earlier). If anyone is interested in more information about the relay for our community, you can visit www.relayforlife.org/lincolnla, or you can e-mail us lincolnrelay@gmail.com.

We had a VERY SUCCESSFUL Kickoff party last night with about 60 in attendance. The theme this year is "Game On". Here is a picture of the wonderful people that I am working with for Relay.


No comments: